It’s been a while now since people around the globe and especially in western countries have started serious recycling programs. If somehow you don’t exactly know what recycling is I will try to explain it as good as I can in the next lines.
Basically recycling is the process of breaking down and re-using materials that would otherwise be thrown away. In many countries around the world it is quite easy to be a good citizen and recycle. The system is well-organized and people are educated in order to recycle the right way. This can be done by making trash bins available in the streets for public use or providing different kinds of trash bins for homes.
Recycling is a very important component of modern waste reduction and is the one of the component in “Reduce, Reuse and Recycle” waste hierarchy.
Advantages of Recycling
There are a lot of advantages of recycling, far more than disadvantages. Actually we can divide this in two big benefits:
- Aesthetically speaking, reducing the garbage and the litter does have its benefits.
- Reusing materials can save other natural resources like trees, minerals etc.
- Saves a lot of space.
- Reduces greenhouse emissions into the atmosphere by not needing to produce new materials.
- The pollutants that are unfortunately released into the air and water can be reduced with an increased recycling.
- More recycling means actually more jobs.
- You can make some money by bringing in approved materials at recycling centers.
- If recycling programs are properly run, there is a significant reduction in cost for the governments, taxpayers and business owners.
In today’s day and age we can recycle almost anything you can think of. But The most important materials we recycle are metal, glass, paper and plastic.
Metal – We use a lot of metal in our day-to-day life and that is also a good reason to recycle it. As an interesting fact about recycling metal is that is takes up to 70% less energy to recycle than to create new. Among many metal materials we recycle we can enumerate aluminium foil, aluminium cans or steel or tin cans.
Usually metal is recycled by melting.
Glass – Glass is another important material that we use daily. What is important to know about glass recycling is that we should be always pay attention to colors. Glass needs to be recycled with glass from the same color.
Paper – It has been shown that, in U.S. people are recycling about 330 pounds / year each. Paper and cardboard are everywhere. People are throwing a lot of cardboard from the products they buy, they throw away magazines and newspapers and many many other things made out of paper.
We have to keep in mind that recycling subject is a very large subject itself. In this article I tried a summary but I know that I am far from the basics. I hope though that at least you will think about this subject and you will also try to help the planet out. I know that we are on the right path and that we will succeed in the end.
- How About Recycling?
- In Depth Advantages Of Nuclear Energy
- What is Nuclear Waste?
- What is Nuclear Energy?
- Disadvantages of Nuclear Energy